10 Signs You’ve Made Great TV Commercials – #8
The World’s Most Successful Commercials
This is the latest in our series that explores how you know you nailed it with your video advertising. Sure you paid top dollar for the most prestigious advertising firm. You wrote creative briefs. Then re-wrote them. Again. You scoured the earth to find the best actors and actresses. You hired one of the writers from Friends. You strategized to find just the right emotional chords to pluck. You threw in a joke or two. You flew to Maui for the final shoot. And did it all pay off? In this series we explore the evidence.
8. Your Catchphrase Caught On
Your spot becomes a catchphrase that gets incorporated into interactions that are NOT about your product.
- Wassup?!? (Budweiser)
- Where’s the Beef? (Wendy’s)
- Just Do It (Nike)
- When your here you’re family
- Mikey Likes It (Life Cereal)
- I couldda have a V8 (V8)
- Never Had It Never Will (7Up)
- Let Your Fingers Do the Walking (Yellow Pages)
- Don’t Squeeze The Charmin (Charmin)
- Pardon Me Do You Have Any Grey Poupon (Grey Poupon)
- Good to the last drop (Maxwell House)
- Take the Pepsi Challenge (Pepsi)
Only half the catchphrases have the name of the brand in it. Putting the name brand in your catch phrases minimizes the likelihood the phrase will escape into a new orbit and be used for situations that do not involve your product. And that’s the place you want to be.